Saturday, October 20, 2012

Time for Elevenses


I feel rather horrid for having blogged so little over the past few weeks.  An anniversary should be celebrated with many wonderful posts about shoes and ships and sealing-wax (and cabbages and kings), but I've been so busy scurrying hither and yon and writing guest posts for lovely friends that I've hardly had time to write posts for my own blog.  I promise that there shall be at least one new movie review next week, however (anyone want to guess the movie? comment, please!), and I'm working on that Les Miz dream cast... but until then, we must all content ourselves with the elevens tag that is flying yet again through the blogosphere.  

This time I've been tagged by Kiri Liz and Hayden, and I'll let you in on a little shameful secret.  Hayden tagged me earlier this week, but I held off on answering her questions for a little while because I wanted to wait and see if anyone else tagged me (presumptuous, I know).  That way, if I had two sets of questions to answer, I'd have an excuse to skip the eleven random things at the beginning (which I muchly dislike).  And what do you know, along came Kiri today with her tag!  Voila!  Kiri, you've saved me from the Eleven Randoms.  I am infinitely obliged to you, my dear.

*assumes Lady Dedlock voice*
So you all know my secret.  And now you are going to expose me.  
*returns to normal manner of speaking*
Without further prattling, I present to you the twenty-two questions that I had great fun answering. I've also tagged several friends at the bottom, so don't forget to check down there!


Hayden's Questions

If you could choose any superpower, what would it be?

Probably the power to be invisible.  That would be great fun.  I could freak people out and become an international spy.  

Bows and Arrows, Swords, or Guns?


Um... none of the above?

What’s your favorite black and white film?


It might very well be Roman Holiday (1953).  Hilarious, touching, full of lovely costumes, Audrey Hepburn being glamorous, Gregory Peck being... Gregory Peck (cough), a fascinating story and of course Rome in black and white.  It's all such a sequence of continual delights, to quote Mrs. Forrester.  "Irving! Am I glad to see you!"  "Why, did ya forget your wallet?"

"Tell me, Mr. Radovich, what is a ringer?"
"Oh, er, it's an American term.  It means anybody who has a great deal of charm."

What is something random that freaked you out as a child, even if it wasn't supposed to be scary?

I was terrified almost to death of the lorikeets at the zoo.  There used to be a cage where you could actually go inside and feed the birds (though it cost a bit more than tuppence a bag) with a little cup of sugar water, and they'd come and perch on your arm or finger.  My grandmother took me there on multiple occasions but I was always far too scared to even try feeding the Flappy, Feathery Animals of Terror.  Still am, for that matter.

Did you read Dr. Seuss books as a kid? Which one is your favorite?


I did indeed!  By far, my favorite was The Five Hundred Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins.  I also really liked And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street.

What is your favorite musical?


Heehee.  You ask ME this question.  Everybody, on three.  One, two three-- 
LES MISERABLES!


Except it's not awkward.  Ever.

What is your least favorite book by your favorite author?


Lady Susan by Jane Austen. I haven't even finished it yet.  What I've read of it bored me.  Did I just type that out loud?

If you could steal any movie/television character’s wardrobe, who would it be?


Marianne Dashwood's from Sense and Sensibility 1995.  I may devote a post to her costumes sometime in the near future.  They're just amazing.




What is your opinion on clowns?


I can take them or leave them.  Didn't inherit my mom's terror of them, but I certainly don't think much of them.

What is one obscure book, movie, or television show that you recommend?


So Dear to My Heart (1948), one of the best (if not THE best) of Walt Disney's films. Most people have never heard of it, and it's a crying shame.


"Mama's already sent away for the pattern.  For my new dress."
"What's that got to do with it?"
"I was gonna wear it to the fair."
(yes, I have the entire script memorized...
that's what happens when you watch a movie more than thirty times)

Oh no! You’re stuck in an elevator when the power goes out. It’s going to be several hours before help comes. Who would you rather be stuck in there with- Mr. Collins or Hyacinth Clare Gibson?


Um, can we make Fanny Dorrit an option instead?  Because she'd actually be kind of fun... no? Oh, very well.  Mr. Collins.  I'd have fun insulting him to his face, I think.  Horrid, I know, but... um, anyways.  Moving on. 


Kiri Liz's Questions

What is your third favorite color?

Hmmm... probably cream.  Pink and blue are first and second, though I couldn't tell you which is which.
If you could rewrite any scene from any book, which one would it be and why?


Well, I'd be happy to tell you, but my fellow Leaguettes must promise not to guillotine me.  It's the scene in The Scarlet Pimpernel (do tell!) where Marguerite and Percy have their Cold-Shoulder Discussion in the garden, after which Percy follows Marguerite up the steps and kisses the place where she walked.  I mean, COME ON. That chapter was fabulous, and then that ridiculous end bit-- I have to admit I burst out laughing every time I read it.  I lose some respect for one of my favorite heroes, let me tell you, and that's not a good thing.  
Would you rather live in a old palace, a cottage in the woods, a pirate ship, or a underground burrow?

Toss-up between an old palace or a cottage in the woods.  I'm rather inclined to the palace at present but a little cottage is always very snug. 





How do you pronounce the word "often?" Off-ten? Or Off-fen?

Off-fen, unfortunately.  I'm not much like Jane Fairfax, I'm afraid.  Jane always speaks so distinct, you know.
What is your favorite holiday film?


It's a Wonderful Life (1946).  Merry Christmas, you wonderful old Building and Loan!


"Why don't you kiss her instead of talking her to death?"
"You want me to kiss her, huh?"
"Ah, youth is wasted on the wrong people."

If you had a book (any book including a cookbook or a research book) published, what would be featured on the cover?


Cherry blossoms, perhaps. I'm partial to those.  :D
Where would your dream home be located?


Isn't this kind of a repeat of the one about castles and cottages, burrows and ships? Well, I'd probably like a lighthouse by the sea.  A small cottage at the foot of the lighthouse, maybe, or even the lighthouse itself.  Full of old-fashioned knickknacks and lacy curtains at the windows, indoor plumbing and all manner of modern conveniences of course, but still rustic and lovely and simply crowded with salt air and wet winds blowing off the coast.  And cats, maybe.  Plenty of books, a sewing room, a lovely low-ceilinged kitchen and of course Mr. Knightley and six or seven children.  

If there was no such thing as tea or coffee in this world, what hot drink(s) would you consume?

Hot chocolate, of course.  And I should not suffer in the drinking of it, not one bit. 


 
What one song describes your life/day/mood? 


At present, you mean?  Hmmm... Jesus, I Am Resting, Resting.  I'm quite content and peaceful and happy right now.  Of course, I am not resting in Jesus only when I'm content and peaceful and happy, but that song's been running through my head tonight.  
Peanut butter cookies, snickerdoodles, or gingerbread men?


Peanut.  Butter. Cookies.
What is something you absolutely love right now?


Sewing.  Indubitably.  Also Jane Austen.  And books in general.  But that's a given, right?

My Questions

  1. Who's your least favorite literary heroine?
  2. Did you read the American Girl books when you were younger?  Which series was your favorite?  Which book?
  3. You're having a friend over who has never seen a single period drama in her life.  Which one do you choose for her indoctrination?
  4. Raspberries or strawberries?  Why?
  5. What's your favorite cartoon movie?
  6. Who is your favorite singer?
  7. When do you start listening to Christmas music?
  8. Which was the best birthday of your life so far and why?
  9. Why did Mr. Gibson marry Hyacinth Horror Kirkpatrick?  Explain your answer in 200 words or less and don't forget footnotes.  If you haven't read/seen Wives and Daughters, write a two-paragraph essay on why lobsters don't wear socks.
  10. Who would you rather have tea with, Miss Bates or Mrs. Bennet? 
  11. What is the ugliest/most unflattering dress or outfit you've ever seen on a period drama? How would you have dressed the character who was so unfortunate as to wear it?

I tag...
~Melody
~Miss Laurie
~Lily
~Marie
~Miss Molly
~Petie
~AnnaKate
~Eowyn
~Maria Elisabeth
~The Young Sage
~Miss Melody Muffin
~Abilaine

And, of course, anyone else who wants to do it is more than welcome. Leave your answers in the comments, if you'd like.  I ignored the less-than-200-followers rule, because I was already so flagrant in my flaunting (no random facts! shocking, shocking!) that I figured I may as well be hung for a follower or two as a random fact.  Toodle-pip, lovely people, and see you next week!

22 comments:

Kirsten Fichter said...

Haha! You're welcome, Amy!! Saving someone from the dreaded Eleven Randoms can be praised in the same way as saving innocent victims from the iron blade of the Republic, yes? Er... maybe not.

And yes, I'd agree... answering tag questions is far more agreeable to digging up random facts.

I loved reading all of your answers to both Hayden's and my questions! The fact that there were 22 made it all the better, I daresay! ;)

Oh... I did NOT care for Lady Susan, either. When one of my sisters asked me what it was about after I finally dragged myself to the end of the story, I responded, "It was about a flirt and her daughter." At least, that's what I think it might have been about. I might have gotten so bored that I skimmed. Yikes.

Yes, I laughed at Percy, too. My first thought was actually of horror when I tried to imagine all the germs on the step and how sick he would be the next day.

Yay for Off-fen! I asked this question because I was curious to see people's responses, but grammatically speaking, if you want to say it correctly, it's "off-fen." :)

Love It's a Wonderful Life!

Cherry blossoms... hmm.. I wonder where that came from... ;)

Mal said...

I always love reading these :)

I just ordered Only A Novel!!! I'm so excited to read it!!
-mal :)

Alexandra said...

HAHAHAHA. I wish I would have thought of that...I had three people tag me and I *still* answered the eleven random things. Ugh. :D

LOVE Roman Holiday!!!!!! Soooo cute and sweet and just....sniff.

Can this be true? I don't believe what I read! A Janeite like you to be bored of one of her books? I mean! It's one thing for *me* to say I am...but YOU! I am shocked. :-P

"Honey...it's time you stopped setting your heart on the daydreams of menfolk." Or something like that. It's been a while. :) LOVE that movie, though!

ANDIWILLNOWNEVERSPEAKTOYOUAGAINEVEREVEREVER. How COULD you hate that beautiful scene?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Ahhhhhh, me. *shakes head* She has gone far, gone far indeed. Tsk, tsk. I am ashamed of you, fellow Leaguette. :-P

Heheeee...offen is me, too. :-P

AHH! My favorite...lemme see...

"Nice about your brother and Ruth, isn't it?"
"Hm? Oh, yeah..."
"Well, don't you like her?"
"Of course I like her! She's a peach!"

A friend of mine found the complete screenplay at a flea market the other day and got it for me! Lovely. :)

And now for questions...because I want to. :-P

1. Ohhhh....ummmmmm...whatshername from Wuthering Heights. Maybe.
2. YESSSSSSS. I was obsessed with them. Felicity was my favorite...and I think my favorite Felicity book was probably Felicity Saves the Day. I used to "ship" Felicity and Ben. :-P
3. DUHHHHHH. :-P
4. Strawberries. Because I love them for no distinct reason. :D
5. Hmmm. Anything by Dr. Seuss.
6. Michael Crawford.
7. Depends. This year we made it to September. Usually it's in July.
8. My sixteenth...I had a big surprise party. Or possibly my 20th, when my friend Kate came and we met for the first time in person. :)
9. Because he liked who she pretended to be when she was around him. Because he was a MAN and he was lonely.
10. Miss Bates. I always thought she was really sweet, actually.
11. OOOH. Ummm...Mom and I were just discussing this...who was it... oh rats. I'll remember later. ;)

Melody said...

THIEF! That was my idea, cheating and answering two sets of questions instead of making stuff up. :P
Unless you had the same idea before I said that. Haha.

You're working on a Les Miz dream cast? Haha... figures. ;P The funny things I don't know until I read your blog. Although since you said "that" probably you mentioned it before and I, er, didn't notice. One of your posts on the subject, I daresay.

Did you type that out loud? How durst ye!?
:P
Although you can't really SAY until you HAVE read it.

Darling, you didn't freak out about the elevator question?? Haha. ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHA YOU JUST ADMITTED TO NOT LIKING THAT SCENE.
Wow. Poor Alexandra. :P But I DID faithfully keep your secret hitherto, you know. You have to hand it to me. :P

Hahahaha cherry blossoms....

Sigh... you mentioned JA as something you absolutely love right now. *feels happy*
Ha.

Oooh, good questions, dearest. Some of them may be quite hard to answer though, I am afraid. Especially the last one.

Thanks for tagging me! :D

Miss Dashwood said...

Kiri,
We are in your debt, madam! :D
Hahaha, the germs on the step... ICKY. I hadn't even thought of that aspect. Ugh.
I can't think where on earth the cherry blossoms came from. Can you>? I suppose I just like cherry blossoms. Heehee.

Mal,
Yay! Thanks for ordering it! :D I hope you enjoy it!

Ally,
But you're good at the eleven random things. I can never think of anything.
HAHAHAHAHA. I sang that third paragraph in my head as I read it. Just so ya know. ;) Yep, Lady Susan bored me. But of course I never finished it. So maybe I'll like it some other time... but you would agree that no matter how wonderful an author may be, all are human and fallible and imperfect, yes? :D
YAY! You know So Dear to My Heart! *feels happy inside* "Honey, it's time you learned not to go settin' your heart on the daydreams of menfolks." :D
Hey, hey, hey, now wait a minute. I didn't HATE that beautiful scene. I loved it. Up to a point. It was just the step-kissing that made me roll my eyes. It makes me snicker at Percy, and that is a thing not to be borne, you know.
*sniffles* Do please speak to me again. What will I dooooooo if you don't?
Hahaha, I always thought Felicity and Ben should be an Item too. Heehee. Except in the movie. Because I didn't like Ben in the movie. He's annoying.
July for Christmas music.... heeheehee. I usually make it to November.
Yeah, I'd choose Miss Bates too. I might bring earplugs though. None of the movies make her as verbose as she is in the book. ;)

Nonsensical Girl,
If I am a wild Thief I cannot help it! It is not my own fault! And really I am NOT a thief, tootuz the thought had crossed my mind even before you said something about it, and then your mention made me determine to do the same thing.
I did too mention the dream cast. 'Twas in my PO on the movie cast. Which you didn't read. *haughty sniff from She Who Always Reads All of YOUR Posts*
BAHAHAHAHAHA, I didn't even think about it being an elevator. Just the being stuck with an annoying person. Haha. Well, in that case, the elevator itself might occupy more of my mind than the annoying companion. :P
Looking forward to your question answers! I want to see them soooooooon! You won't have trouble with 2, 3 or 4 though, will you? :D

Miss Dashwood said...

Oh, and Melody-- I so love your new profile. I know I've said that, but it just makes me happy every time I see it. For multiple reasons. :D

Anonymous said...

Okay. So. Now I really want to see Roman Holiday. And I am totally unashamed in saying that it's purely because of that picture you posted. Or more accurately, because of Gregory Peck in that picture. Gosh, that man is classy.

Melody said...

Nonsense. One can always help being a thief. :P But it's nice that we had the same thought. Heehee.

What DOES "PO" stand for (besides Post Office :P)? I want to know! I know it must be ___ Opinion, but whether it's private, personal, proud, or something-else-I-thought-of-and-now-can't-remember, I do not know. Dear me, I'm so out of the Loop. :P

But, my deauh, as you so aptly pointed out once, I do not post half so often as you do, so 'tis easier for you to read all of MY posts. And if it is any comfort, there is seldom a time I don't at least glance at your posts, haha. Even at the one in question... just not thoroughly enough to see where you mentioned that.

Haha... I wonder what would happen if you could see me, but only on the condition that it was in an elevator?
Okay, that was weird.

Why yes, my dear, 2 and 3 will not be exactly easy. There are too many good options. 4 is super easy though. :D
And I am glad you like my new profile. :) Your good opinion is rarely bestowed, and therefore more worth the earning.
BAHAHAHA. I'm kidding. Your good opinion is actually off-ten bestowed, but I felt like quoting that anyhow. :D Do you ever find it odd that she said "thank you" to that? Haha.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever heard of the play called "Pride @ Prejudice?" I think you would enjoy it quite immensely. It is a two-act play that is like watching an abridged P&P play with a slight technological twist. It is loads of fun for Austen fans and non-fans alike. I recently saw it and I really enjoyed it! If it ever comes to your area you should see it. Love your blog by the way! :)
http://metroland.net/2012/10/17/jane-austen-funny/

Caroline L. said...

Oh, my. The Percy scene. I love it. I even loved the kissing the ground bit when I was younger - I thought it was soooo romantic! Now, I can't help giggling (just at the kissing part only!) and thinking of the mouthful of leaves Percy probably got (it was autumn, you know!). Hehehe...

Elizabeth said...

Thank you so much for tagging me! So excited!

Marie said...

*SQEALS!!!* Thanks so much for tagging me! 'Twas most gracious, seeing as my blog is available only to Select And Certain Persons :)

Ella said...

Roman Holiday and It's a wonderful Life are such good old movies.
I love Marianne dashwoods dresses,especially her day dresses.

Margaret Hale said...

Thank you so much for tagging me! (I'm glad I've seen Wives and Daughters, because I really haven't the slightest idea of why lobsters don't wear socks.)

I like So Dear To My Heart too. It's a pity that most Disney movies aren't as good.

Being stuck in an elevator with either Mr. Collins or Mrs. Gibson is an alarming prospect, and I'm not sure which I would find more annoying. (In fact, maybe that would be a good thing, because perhaps the more annoying they were the more it would keep your mind off of being stuck in an elevator...? Well, probably not.)

Mykaela said...

I just watched "Roman Holiday for the first time a couple days ago. LOVVVVVVEEEEEDDD ITTTT!!! The "Mouth of Truth" scene just about killed me, because it seemed so exactly like something my dad would do to my mom or I. I have also wathced "So Dear..." but it was a while ago so I don't remember it that well.

Hayden said...

Okay, so we are Much Too Much Alike. Even down to the superpower desire and reasoning behind it. Oh yes. I wish to be a spy. Indeed. If, you know, I was invisible.

And Roman Holiday! *Love* My favorite black-and-white, too.

Never seen So Dear to my Heart...but I will try to find it and watch it, just for you. :)

And I too would choose to be in an elevator with Mr. Collins, because at least he'd let me eat cheese :)

And I agree about the TSP scene. So touching until that moment. You know, if he had kissed HER instead of the gorund, it probably would have turned out better. For everyone involved.

I do want to answer your questions. Yes, I do. But I'll leave it in another comment...

Hayden said...

1.Who's your least favorite literary heroine? Margaret Hale. Or…Lady Susan. Ha :P
2. Did you read the American Girl books when you were younger? Which series was your favorite? Which book? Oh YES. I LOVED THEM- but no one else I knew did. Oh, my sad childhood. I really loved Kit, but also Josephina and Felicity. I do really want to read the new Caroline books that just came out…her outfits are scrumptious!!
3.You're having a friend over who has never seen a single period drama in her life. Which one do you choose for her indoctrination? Hmmm. Not something too long- maybe the ‘95 Sense and Sensibility? Emma ‘96, perhaps
4.Raspberries or strawberries? Why? Raspberries. I don’t care for fruit or berries, but Raspeberries are Tolerable. Although not tasty enough to tempt me.
5.What's your favorite cartoon movie? Beauty and the Beast, of course!!!
6.Who is your favorite singer? Hard one there…maybe Francesca Battistelli, as far as Christian artists go. I don’t really have much of a “favorite” because I like variety and get tired of listening to one person/group over and over
7.When do you start listening to Christmas music? Just started today…although I admit that’s a little early, even for me.
8.Which was the best birthday of your life so far and why? I have no idea, but my 16th was marvelous, I must admit. It was hope chest themed, so everyone brought me something to put into mine.
9.Why did Mr. Gibson marry Hyacinth Horror Kirkpatrick? Explain your answer in 200 words or less and don't forget footnotes. If you haven't read/seen Wives and Daughters, write a two-paragraph essay on why lobsters don't wear socks.
He married her due to a lapse in judgment due to eating a lobster who was wearing socks, thus giving him indigestion, which obviously impaired his thinking. There can be no other explanation.
10.Who would you rather have tea with, Miss Bates or Mrs. Bennet? I’ll say Mrs. Bennet, since I played her in our drama performance of P&P. It would be amusing to see if I could out-Bennet the queen of Bennet-ness, after all
11.What is the ugliest/most unflattering dress or outfit you've ever seen on a period drama? How would you have dressed the character who was so unfortunate as to wear it?
Okay, can I say a hairstyle instead of an outfit? Because those little knots with flower towers on the tops of Cynthia and Molly’s hair in W&D are just hideous. And the short hairstyle of Lady Harriet’s…ugh. ANYTHING would be better than that. Except for maybe a mullet.

Alexandra! said...

I LOVE RomanHoliday as well! :):):)
It's wonderful!

I haven't read Lady susan but the plot sounds awful....
I may do your tag... It sounds fun! :)

Rhoswen Faerie Wrose said...

Let's see...
1. If sticking only to books I've read/dramas I've seen the whole of, I'm not sure if I have one so low I can specifically say she's my least favorite.
2. I definitely read American Girl! In fact, when I got into them, Felicity was a brand new character. ;-) However, my favorite was Samantha (followed by Felicity and then Molly), and my favorite Samantha book was Happy Birthday, Samantha!...which I still have.
3. As much as I would love to say P&P 1995, it would probably be a bit much...so I'd have to go with Miss Laurie's answer and say the Emma Tompson S&S.
4. Strawberries! I've never been overly fond of raspberries. Maybe it's the seeds...but I do like raspberry flavoring better than the berry. Likewise, I don't like strawberry flavoring...hmmm....
5. Anastasia! I love story line, even if it isn't historically accurate, I love the visuals, and I love the music!
6. That's kind of hard to say as I love several types of music and several singers within those types...a few would be Chris Tomlin, Josh Groban, Jackie Evancho, and Celtic Woman
7. In September. The moment Fall weather hits, I start listening to it...usually with Celtic music mixed in as well. That mix always seems very Fall-ish to me.
8. Maybe the scavenger hunt my friends at Bible school gave me for my 21st, or my trip to visit some friends in New York for my 25th...I can't decide for sure.
9. Well, we all know the reasons given, but the reasons behind those reasons, the deep psychology behind the choice....who knows!
10. I think I would rather have tea with Mrs. Bennet.
11. Fanny Thornton's yellow&blue monstrosity.

Jack said...

Um..hehe...um, I was helping a friend of mine out, and setting up a blog for him, so I could link back to him. (He's my photographer.) And, um, I didn't sign out...and, um, well, I commented under his name. So, yeah, that last comment with Percy and the steps, that was me.

*Whistles shyly*

That would embarrass him.

Allons-y!

Jessica said...

I just watched Roman Holiday because of this post. ;-) It was cute, but the end was SUCH a disappointment to me. I wanted it to end happily ever after, and instead it just- ended. :-(
What do you think of the end?

Elisabeth Grace Foley said...

Somebody else who loves So Dear To My Heart! I think it's one of Disney's best too. And I was pleasantly surprised when I watched it again recently, after a lapse of some years, how good the period setting and costumes were.

I'll bet I could probably recite the script too—I watched it a lot when I was little. :)