Friday, February 22, 2013

Where's Miss Dashwood?


This blog has been... well... quiet of late.  Period drama reviews are scarcer than scarce things.  Posts about literary characters... say what?  We don't even remember those.  Whoever writes this blog has been flying in and out like a tornado in a trailer park.  "Hi toys!  Bye toys!"  (Apparently she's been watching too many Pixar movies.)  

So where's Miss Dashwood these days if she's not here?


She's catching up on emails and phone calls with friends.

She's reading Pride and Prejudice out loud to her second-youngest sister.

She's teaching an American history class every week (and has had it up to here with the Stamp Act.  Do not mention the Stamp Act to her at this time.).

She's babysitting a squirming bundle of adorableness every week for six hours at a time.

She's finishing her senior year of high school.

She's writing fiction in her spare time.

She's reveling in the delights of Our Mutual Friend with her sister the Anne-girl.

She's studying for her driver's permit.

She's helping her friend Melody run the P&P95Forever Club.

She's working on a bunch of blog posts in draft.  Heh.  Well, sometimes.

She's sewing like mad.  Well, when she has time.  Which isn't that often.  But she does it whenever she can.  Because she's finally launched her own business.  She's on Etsy--not with much, as yet, but there nonetheless.  Here.


Is she a has-been around here?

Absolutely not.   North and South will be reviewed on here. Very soon.  As will Ivanhoe and Our Mutual Friend and all four seasons of Jeeves and Wooster.  And Les Mis (the brick).  And she'll be spouting off presently about why Jo March and Laurie Laurence should not have gotten married, and why the ending of Little Women is just as it should be.  

For now, though, she's just popping in to tell you she isn't dead.  To thank you for being patient, for sticking with her, for leaving comments and being the lovely followers and friends that you are.  (And for putting up with her pointless use of the third person in this post).  And to direct you to this post by a friend of hers, a post which she is absolutely on-her-honor NOT copy-catting right here and now.  No. Never.   Don't even imagine it.

14 comments:

Crafts4others said...

After having read Ivanhoe, I can't wait to see what you think. I plan on watching the movie soon and then reviewing it.

Anonymous said...

So... if you're not dead, then... GASP. That must mean...

YOU'RE ALIVE, YOU'RE ALIVE, YOU ARE SO ALIVE!!!!

:D

Oh, my Chauvie, how I love thee and our little jokes. <3
(And I just started reading Our Mutual Friend... it's a small world, after all...)

Miss Dashwood said...

Crafts4Others,
Well, I'll let you in on a little secret here... I didn't like it quite as much as I'd hoped to. Shhh. Don't tell anyone. I hope my review doesn't disappoint you... it's quite likely that the movie isn't as good as the book, though.

Puddle Duck,
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Goodness.
I hadn't even thought of that. You are hilarious. :D
"If you try to deny me I'll never die... I'm alive, I'm alive, I am SO ALIVE! And I'll tell you the truth if you'll let me try..."
:D
You're going to LOVE Our Mutual Friend. Believe me. :D

Hayden said...

You write that post on Jo and Laurie, and I'll be your devoted friend forever after. Sometimes I feel like the only girl who's glad they didn't get married!

Arielle Melody Bailey said...

YAYAY!! Amy's back!!

I can tell you the movie Ivanhoe (if it is the 1980's movie with AA) is most definitely NOT as good as the book. You shall hear my thoughts on it in full when I review the movie on my blog next week. :) (I just saw it last week and, well, like I said, I'll save all of my numerous and possibly some unpopular opinions for my post.) I'm very eager to hear what you think of it!

The Stamp Act- yeah. I'm in full agreement.

Our Mutual Friend is on my to-read-Dickens-list for this year.

Very nice Etsy shop, m'dear!

I'm looking forward to your upcoming posts!

Caroline L. said...

Oh, hurray, hurrah! Thou art not one of the dreaded Jo/Laurie shippers! I am looking forward to your Little Women post with much pleasure.

Danielle @ wxroz said...

Hi Miss Dashwood,
I wondered if you might be interested in sharing your thoughts on my latest blog post: http://wxroz.wordpress.com/2013/02/23/question-for-bloggers-who-are-also-writers/. I see that you've written a novel! And from this post, you're working on writing more stories. I would love to hear more about your writing process, if you wanted to share. Check out the link if you get a chance! Thanks :) ~Danielle

Mal said...

Good to know you're not dead! Haha I won't mention certain actions of the British, but I've been studying them and that time period, so I feel your pain ;) That's super cool that you teach an American history class though! I'd love to do that some day!
-mal :)

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

There are some great Ivanhoe movies put there, but the book is always better, of course. I'm hoping to reread it later this year myself, so looking forward to your review!

(And I think Jo & Teddy marrying would have been a disaster.)

Jessica Greyson said...

YAY!!!!! YOU'RE ALIVE!!!! WE'VE MISSED YOU!!!!!! Dear me what busyness business is...and how it does occupy one. Your shop looks 100% adorable and I am in love with a few of your items already. :D

Glad to hear that thou is alive! TO INFINITY AND BEYOND!!!

Jessica

Marie said...

*Squeals* Amy's on Etsy!!! So you decided to go with that after all, then? Congratulations dear!!! Jumping right over to check out your shop...I love your banner!

Jane B said...

Oh dear, I feel a bit lonely. Isn't there ANYONE out there who thinks Jo & Laurie SHOULD have ended up together? Someone who doesn't agree with Good Wives? Don't get me wrong, I love the book Little Women and the rest of the series (esp LW & LM) but it always grieved me that Laurie and Jo didn't marry each other and I don't believe that any amount of spouting will persuade me otherwise.
But looking forward to your arguments otherwise!
I think that's the main reason why I've always prefered LM Montgomery to LM Alcott. Her main characters always end up marrying each other!

Evelyn said...

I awarded you the Brilliant Blog Bouquet Award! Great job on having such a wonderful blog. =)

Miss Emma said...

YOUMUSTBEANAARONTVEITFAN!

Having gotten that out of my system...
I am interested in reading your post on Jo and Teddy dearest. I am interested because I am not sure what you are going to say that will ever convince me that "the bear" was the better choice (even though I am not 100% sure Laurie and Jo would have been perfect together, I simply do not like Professor Bhaer, I cannot quite put my finger on why).

Also, I love Our Mutual Friend. I feel like it's one of those classics that too few people know about (Lorna Doone, anyone?). Looking forward to this one as well!