Thursday, December 15, 2011

Jane Austen's Best Quotes

Yet Another Period Drama Blog


“I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal.”

“Where so many hours have been spent in convincing myself that I am right, is there not some reason to fear I may be wrong?”

“I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible.”

“We have all a better guide in ourselves, if we would attend to it, than any other person can be.”

“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.”

“Silly things do cease to be silly if they are done by sensible people in an impudent way.”

“How quick come the reasons for approving what we like.”

“Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love.”

“But for my own part, if a book is well written, I always find it too short.”

“I always deserve the best treatment because I never put up with any other.”

“Life seems but a quick succession of busy nothings.”

And my favorite one of all, written out and tacked to my bulletin board "for all to see":

“I am not at all in a humor for writing; I must write on until I am.”

4 comments:

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

Jane Austen truly is so quotable! These quotes are so of the best!
I particularly like your favorite quote and might have to steal it for my room too. I love writing but sometimes I am just not "in a humor for writing"! :) Thanks!

Miss Dashwood said...

Miss Laurie,
That is my ultimate inspiration-in-writing quote. :)

Anonymous said...

I love the first one! JA was so funny.

Hayden said...

I love these! I may tack a few of them up on my wall as well (especially that last one!)