Monday, February 11, 2013

Let's Go For a Spin

"...take your turn, take a ride on the merry-go-round..."
~Masquerade, Phantom of the Opera

(I find it amusing that this girl is neglecting her needlework
in favor of a book.  Ahem.  Cough.)

The Classics Club is sponsoring a Classics Spin from now until April 1st.  The rules are simple--list twenty books from your Classics Club list in a separate post on your blog and number them.  They can be any twenty books you choose.  I've separated mine into four categories, as you can see below.  On Monday the 18th they'll announce a number over at the Club, and the assignment is to read whatever book corresponds to that number before April 1st.

I'm in!

I'm posting these here because I want to keep myself accountable-- if the number turns out to be, say, 19 and I'm stuck with Moby Dick, I want Moby Dick to be listed ast #19 on my blog so I can't back out and rearrange my list at the last minute.  :D So, in essence, you are all holding me to this list.   *dramatically lays hand over heart*  I shall not fail you, my friends.

Re-reads
1. Mansfield Park (Jane Austen)
2. Little Dorrit (Charles Dickens)
3. El Dorado (Baroness Orczy)
4. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
5.  Eight Cousins (Louisa May Alcott)

New Reads I'm Excited About
6. Lorna Doone (Richard Blackmore)
7. A Portrait of a Lady (Henry James)
8. Hamlet (William Shakespeare)
9. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)
10. The Sword in the Stone (T. H. White)

Not Particularly Excited, But Not Dreading
11. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (Anne Bronte)
12. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Victor Hugo)
13. He Knew He Was Right (Anthony Trollope)
14. 1984 (George Orwell)
15. Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)

Viewing With Some Trepidation
16. The Brothers Karamazov (Fyodor Dostoevsky)
17. Far From the Madding Crowd (Thomas Hardy)
18. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)
19. Moby Dick (Herman Melville)
20. Daniel Deronda (George Eliot)

Will you be spinning with me?

7 comments:

Melody said...

Certainly I'll be spinning with you. In my backyard, you know.

Oh, wait, that's not what you meant? Nevah mind.
:P

Anyways. This sounds like a great idea, I think I'll do it... only I'll proberly just email you my list and let you hold me accountable. HAHAHA.
Ha, at least #17 is a TABTO-ish title. ;P

You're excited about The Grapes of Wrath? *makes befuddled look* Okay, well, I guess I can't judge, since I really don't know what it's even about. Hahaha. But it sounds like something I would view with trepidation. (And from the only John Steinbeck book I read... yick. :P)

Ooh, I'm almost hoping you'll get Frankenstein so we can Discuss it. :P

Anonymous said...

I like the way you have broken down your list. I may try the same thing myself. Thanks for posting. It sounds like fun!

Eva said...

Just dropping by to let you know you’ve been awarded/tagged! Check out the details here – http://ramblings-janeite.blogspot.ca/2013/02/shine-on-award-tag.html

Danielle @ wxroz said...

I should check the Classics Club website more often so I can be alerted to things like this. This sounds like fun!

You have a couple on your list that you're hesitant about that I've read before and loved: The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, Daniel Deronda, and Far From the Madding Crowd. I hope you find when you start reading that they're not so bad! :)

S.K. said...

Wow, that is some list!
I've read both The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and The Count of Monte Cristo, and loved them,but didn't really like Lorna Doone (the series is amazing, but John basically ruins the book! Though I have to say, I wish that they'd put more of the book in the series, mainly, making a certain Carver taller and deeper voiced.)
Far from the Madding Crowd wasn't too bad, but I like Dickens and Austen much better than Thomas Hardy.

deryn joy said...

do not view with trepidation 'far from the madding crowd'! it is not your typical, hardy-esque story. true, there are certainly hardy elements, but ... well, I won't spoil it, but I honestly think you will at least like it as you wipe away the tear and look, sighing, out the casement. :)

Brona said...

I'm posting my spin tomorrow - good luck!