Saturday, September 28, 2013

Celebrate Musicals Week: Quote Quiz Answers

And the answers to Tuesday's quote quiz are...


1.
Herr Zeller: I've not asked you where you and your family are going. Nor have you asked me why I am here.
Captain von Trapp: Well, apparently, we're both suffering from a deplorable lack of curiosity.
~The Sound of Music



2.
"If that be the eyes of the law, sir, then the law is a bachelor."
~Mr. Bumble, Oliver!



3.
Anita: More than what? She was only dancing.
Bernardo: With an American who's really a Polack.
Anita: Says the Spic.
Bernardo: You are NOT so cute.
~West Side Story

[Bernardo's little jab may very well be Anne-girl's and my favorite line from WSS-- well, this and "So take him to a social vorker! Vhich vay? Zhat vay!"  
We quote it... um, very frequently... whenever one of us does something that's supposed to be funny.  And the other person never fails to retort, "That Toooooony is!"]



4.
"What do they think I am? Dumb or something? Why, I make more money than-- than-- than Calvin Coolidge! Put together!"
~Lina Lamont, Singin’ in the Rain



5.
Max Detweiler: Hold on. What's so funny?
Captain von Trapp: You are, Max. Expensive, but very funny.
~The Sound of Music



6.
"Now what call would a woman with that strength in her have to die of influenza? And what become of her new straw hat that should have come to me? [pause] Somebody pinched it. And what I say is: them 'as pinched it, done her in."
~Eliza Doolittle, My Fair Lady


7.
"How was India? I'll tell you how India was. I got up this morning and I shot an elephant in my pajamas."
~Grandpa Potts, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang



8.
Mendel: She's dancing with a man!
Tevye: I can SEE that she's dancing with a man! ...And I'M going to dance with MY wife!
~Fiddler on the Roof


9.
"As the ship lay anchored in Boston Harbor, a party of the colonists dressed as red Indians boarded the vessel, behaved very rudely, and threw all the tea overboard. This made the tea unsuitable for drinking. Even for Americans."
~Mr. Banks, Mary Poppins


10.
"How's about some extra on a day so glad?  Our little orphan girl, she hasn't done so bad. Raised in a convent, cash to spare-- we want our share."
~Madame Thenardier, Les Miserables

[Number ten was rather a trick question, I’m afraid-- Mme. Thenardier’s line does not actually appear in the final edit of the film, though it was in the script.  My apologies for any confusion!  I meant for this question to be challenging, but not so difficult as to be befuddling.  :D]



11.
Lady Thiang: They think you dress like that because you shaped like that.
Anna Leonowens: Well, I most certainly am NOT!
~The King and I


12. 
Truly Scrumptious: Wh-what are you going to do?
Caractacus Potts: I'm going to carry you.
Truly Scrumptious: Oh dear. Must you?
Caractacus Potts: Well, unless you'd rather ride piggyback.

~Chitty Chitty Bang Bang


And as it turns out... we have two winners! Congratulations to Anne-girl and Elizabeth Rose (who earned 23 points each), and thanks to everyone who participated!

2 comments:

Bella said...

I can't believe I missed this! This is the second time I have missed a game thingy, oh well :) I love your series of posts for Musical Week! We've got to do something like this every year! Keep it up! :)

-Belle

Elizabeth said...

I didn't do so well, but it was fun anyway! Thanks for doing this!