Saturday, August 11, 2012

Lorna Doone (2000) Review

"Bring Carver here."
~Sir Ensor Doone, Lorna Doone

"Did he just say 'bring coffee here'?"
~Anne-girl ______, Real Life


Two movie reviews in a week?  Unheard of! Absurd! Two movie reviews in a week?  Unthinkable!

(Name the song I'm paraphrasing and you win... honor and glory.   Also Monopoly money, but don't spend it all in one place.)

Watching Lorna Doone with my sister earlier this week was a new experience for me in many ways.  It was the first period drama I'd seen that was based on a book I'd never read.  It also happened to be the first period drama I'd seen that was based on a book my sister had read before I got my hands on it.  (Usually it's the other way round.   Perks of being the oldest, you know.)  And it was the first period drama I'd seen in which I had almost no idea of what was going to happen next.

Lorna Doone is romantical.  It's suspenseful.  It's scary at times.  It keeps you on the edge of your seat and I guarantee that you will cry at least once.  Or twice.  Or thrice.  (I love saying "thrice."  It's much more fun than "three times.")  It doesn't follow the book very well at all (from what my sister tells me).  But it's a sweeping, beautiful story not easily forgotten, and for that reason I'm going to be very, very careful not to spoil anything for you in this post.  Lorna Doone seems to be one of those sadly-overlooked period dramas--while most people have seen or at least heard of P&P95, if you mention Lorna, you'll get blank looks--but it really shouldn't be that way.   So I'm going to do my best from here on out to convince you to watch it straightaway if you haven't done so already.


{Brief word of warning: though there is no inappropriate content and it is not really a gory story as far as blood-and-guts goes, there are a few violent scenes in Lorna involving some rather intense battles.  I do not recommend this movie for children.}

{Second brief word of warning: I really, really liked this movie.  However, I can never resist poking fun when there's something around to poke fun at, so I may make a few jokes at the characters' expense.  This does not in any way reflect upon my opinion of them--the hero in particular.  He's a great guy but he's also easy to laugh at.  Sorry, John.  No hard feelings, yes? You have a sense of humor too, you know.}

{End of words of warning.}

The story begins in the mid-seventeenth century with the sudden and unprovoked murder of Jack Ridd, a simple farmer in the valley of Exmoor, England.  He is murdered by a band of notorious outlaws, the legendary Doone family who come out of their fortress thingy every so often to rob and pillage the village.  (You see I'm a bit of a poet and you did not know it, what?)  Jack's fourteen-year-old son John swears to avenge his father's death and begins to harbor a strong hate for the Doone family.  His mother, however, convinces him that trying to kill his father's murderers will make him just as bad as they are.  "Killing is the Doone way.  Not ours."

Ooh! Did I mention that his mother is Miss Browning/Mrs. Jamieson/Mrs. Potter?  That is, Barbara Flynn? Because she is.  And she was awesome, by the way.  Here's a really bad-quality picture of her.  Behold.


Soon after this, John nearly drowns while fishing in the river near the Doone valley.  A little girl passing by drags him out of the current, and when he tries to thank her she tells him her name is Lorna but refuses to say anything else about herself, saying only that he should go away and never come back.  (First he teaches her to fish with a spear.  Then he leaves.  Grudgingly.)  It is unclear at this point in the story whether she is playing hard to get or simply doesn't want company today.  (Or perhaps there's another reason... but the audience doesn't know that yet.  Unless, of course, the audience has guessed that she's a Doone.  Which would be a very clever guess on the audience's part, especially if the clever audience has happened to glance at the title of the movie.  High five, clever audience.)

Eight years pass and John grows up while turning around in the hay field.  If you've seen the movie, you'll know what I'm talking about-- if you haven't, I'll just explain that I was making a joke there because the camera pans in on Young John working in the field, zooms in on his leather vest thingy, and then zooms out again and he turns around and boom, it's Mr. Coxe.  Er, that is, Older John.   (As you can see on the right, his hair's quite a bit less frightening in this movie than it was in Wives and Daughters.)

Anyways, John's now grown up and in charge of the farm, yada yada, and he and his family are getting ready for a party to welcome home their friend/relative/somethingorother Tom Faggus, who happens to be a notorious highwayman.  (It's also John's birthday but nobody really makes a big deal out of that.) Sad to relate, this Tom fellow--who happens to be Colonel Fitzwilliam from P&P95--wears no bunch of lace at his throat, but of course this was in the days before Sir Percy so it's excusable.  It is unclear why the honest Ridd family is so attached to this incorrigible bandit.  John's sister Annie seems to be especially fond of Tom, which is rather disturbing because he's her godfather.  Yeah, you read that right. Everybody say EWWWWWW.

Ahem.  Moving on.

The party goes on and everybody's happy until John's uncle, Reuben Huckabuck, comes riding into the shenanigans after having been beat up by a group of Doones (who set upon him for no reason whatsoever, which seems to be a kind of theme with them).  Furious, John and Reuben take the matter up with the magistrate, Baron de Whichehalse (I did NOT make that name up, seriously) who isn't much help because he sides with the Doones anyway.  Except that you aren't supposed to know that at this point.  Ooops.  (But you find it out about ten minutes later.  So I didn't really spoil anything.)

John and Reuben decide to take matters into their own hands and confront the Doones themselves, only Reuben's doctor has forbidden him to attack people with guns and things, so John goes up to deal with the Doones alone.  (While we're on the subject, I might add that the Doone territory is referred to as the "Doone valley", yet a good deal of it is on a hilltop.  This does not compute.)  As he passes the place where he fell in the river eight years ago, he sees a beautiful young woman fishing with a spear... and lo and behold, it's Lorna, the girl who had pulled him out of the river in the dear dead days gone by never to be spoken of.

Cue romantic kissy music.  (By the way.  The music in this film is spectacular.)

Many apologies for the bad quality of these pictures... you can
tell it's an obscure film when Google Images has so little to offer.
They have a highly interesting chase scene in which she goes running away and he goes thundering after her (so much for "quietly sneak up on the Doones and do something drastic-- I don't know what, but SOMETHING") and finally manages to convince her that he's not a man-eating elephant, but an adult version of the kid she pulled out of the river in the dear dead days.  (I may have embellished that description just a tad wee bit).  So he wants to come back and see her again, but she says No very decidedly, and so he tootles back home having apparently forgotten about his quest for vengeance.  You know the twitterpated scene in the movie Bambi?  Yeah.  That.


After being rather rudely kicked off the property by his fair lady, John puts on his Sunday clothes to go see her again.  Poor guy can't take a hint.  (When does he get any farm work done, I would like to know?)  This was one of Anne-girl's and my favorite scenes, because his sister Lizzie (or was it Annie? I forget) comes in to ask what he's getting all dressed up for, and he fumbles a moment before replying, "Uh... no reason."  We maintain that "uh, because it makes me feel pretty" would have been a more interesting answer.

Anyways, he goes to meet up with Lorna again, and though she's glad to see him, she tells him that they can never be together because they've only seen each other twice in their entire lives she's a Doone.  Horrified, John goes racing back home with conflicting emotions. "She's the granddaughter of the guy who killed your dad."  "Yeah, but she's PRETTY!"  His moodiness prompts his sisters and the hired hand to speculation about what's bothering him.

"What's the matter with John?"
"Bit by a mad dog, I suppose."
"Arrrggghhhh."

But John goes back to see Lorna again anyways, because hey!  True love is the greatest thing in the world, right?  Except, of course, for a nice MLT (mutton lettuce and tomata) where the mutton is nice and lean and... where was I?

via
There's only one big problem with John and Lorna's living happily ever afterward.  Well, two big problems.  The first is that she's a Doone.  ("Thank you, my dear...")  The second is a fellow whom Anne and I have fondly dubbed Coffee.

The truth of the matter is that his name is Carver.  Carver Doone, to be specific.  Grandson of Sir High Muckety-Muck Ensor Doone, lord of the Doones (who 'appens to be Nicodemus Boffin from Our Mutual Friend).  Son of a mysterious long-locked dude known as The Counsellor, a guy with no real power (who 'appens to be Mr. Merdle from Little Dorrit).  Heir to the seat of power in the Doone valley when Ensor kicks the bucket.  Proud wearer of a ridiculous hairdo that Anne and I have nicknamed The Smokin' Mocha Mohawk (playing on that coffee theme there, you know).  Nicknamed "Coffee" after a slight misunderstanding regarding a line his grandfather says near the beginning of the film (see the top of this post).  Villain of the piece... in love with the heroine.  Against her will.  Duhn-duhn-duhn.

via
Carver wants to marry Lorna (if we interpret "wants" as "has no other goal in life and will kill anyone who gets in the way of his pursuit of romance") and she definitely doesn't want him.  Her grandfather and guardian, Sir Ensor, is willing for them to marry, but won't let Lorna be forced into a marriage against her will.  John's determined to take Lorna out of Doone valley and back to his farm to be his wife, but Ensor is getting old and feeble and Lorna refuses to leave him.  Meanwhile, captain Jeremy Stickles of Charles II's army comes to the Ridd farm with a summons to appear before Judge Jeffreys in London (re. the complaint that Uncle Reuben launched to the king about the Doones-- yeah, when Reuben said he was going all the way to the top, he wasn't kidding).  This is another of my favorite portions of dialogue in the film, when Stickles hands John the court summons:

"You CAN read, can't you?"
*lowers scroll and eyelids*  "Yes."

And... that's about all I'm going to tell you as far as the story goes, because I don't want to spoil it.  For now, let's just say that there are a lot of plot twists.  Treachery.  Treason.  Daring rescues.  Epic battles.  Awkward proposals.  Learning to shoot guns (not too badly, for a woman :P).  Adorable weddings.  Returned letters.  Heartbreak.  More heartbreak.  Horses who know the way home.  Bonking people on the thumb with hammers (see below).  Endings that I'm dying to tell you about but won't for fear of spoiling it, like I said.  (I hold no such restrictions in the comments, however, so beware.)  What else can I say?  Watch it.

Look, Puddle, it's Daniel when he was little! Now you really MUST see this.
The cast in this movie is pretty close to perfect.  Richard Coyle is, frankly, not really big and intimidating enough to convincingly play John-Ridd-of-the-book, but according to Anne-girl, John-of-the-book and John-of-the-movie are pretty much two different people so it's all good.  Amelia Warner makes a lovely Lorna Doone (though The Sister says she's too tall...), even though poor Lorna doesn't get half the screen time she should, and when she does appear... she's not really given much to say.  Or do.  Except be beautiful.  Well, there is that one scene pictured below... but I promised I wouldn't spoil.  Let's just say that I cried during that part (surprise, surprise).

I'm usually a big fan of intricate hairstyles... but I like her hair better when
it's just down and loose.   What do y'all think?
Aidan Gillen was absolutely fabulous as Coffee.  I have to admit to something here... I actually kinda liked him.  *ducks*  Horrid, I know! I'm not supposed to like the villain (um, duh?) and he was most definitely the villain... but I just couldn't help it.  It was kind of a mix between "ewww, you slimeball, go away and never come back" and "aww, why can't you be a good guy?  'Cause you'd be an awesome good guy.  YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE ENDED THE WAY YOU DID."  (All you who have seen the movie... can I get an amen on that??)  Every time he appeared, the music would do this Wagnerian here-comes-the-bad-guy thing, and it basically sounded like... a warning signal of some kind.  Hard to describe.  But we took it to mean that the coffee had finished percolating.  (Seriously, it does sound like a timer going off.  Kind of.)  Hence the term Kaffeemusik.

Oh, and he had really cool boots.  So did John.  I'm finding myself rather liking 17th-century fashions.  Take a look at Lorna's dress in that waterfall picture at the top... isn't it purty?

via
Sadly enough, there are not that many really quotable lines from Lorna Doone-- not so many as, say, Little Dorrit or Anne of Green Gables.  I mean, it's a lot funnier and more apropos to run around the house saying, "Sparkler, be quiet!" than "You break my heart and then accuse ME of cruelty!".  Heehee.  But hey, when there are a lack of good lines to quote, Anne-girl and I make up our own.  Kaffeemusik!

The supporting characters (a multitude of whom were familiar faces from other period dramas--yay!) were all quite fabulous in their own right.  John's sisters, Annie and Lizzie, were a bit difficult to tell apart at first (hint: Lizzie has glasses) but I got used to them pretty quickly and their relationships with John were so cute.

"I'm not going to be marrying some ignorant farmer."
"Don't worry, nobody'll have you once he gets a look at you."

However, was I the only one who found it a bit far-fetched that Annie so calmly accepted the fact that John wanted to marry Lorna?
"She's a DOONE?"
"Yeah... does that bother you?"
"Eh, I just want you to be happy."  (Okay, I paraphrased that a bit because I don't remember exactly how it goes and IMDb is most unhelpful when it comes to Lorna Doone quotes.)

I didn't care for Tom Faggus at first, but found him more and more likable as the story went on--even though he had to be the bearer of Evil Tidings in the second half of the story (don't worry, I'm not revealing anything) it definitely wasn't his fault, and the One Big Really Stupid Thing that he did after THAT was actually a good thing in a way because... oh, nuts.  If you've seen it, drop me a line in the comments and we can gab about that part, okay?

Me?  Tear up at this part? Nevah.  Don't even incinerate such a thing.
Sarah Ridd, John's mother, is supposed to be a weak, wimpy-weepy sort of character in the book (according to Anne-girl) but I liked her strong portrayal in the movie.  It's nice to see a period drama mom with a bit of backbone to her.  When you think about, an awful lot of mothers in period dramas get a bad rap.  Either they're dead before the story starts (e.g. Mrs. Dorrit) or they're wishy-washy (e.g. Mrs. Dashwood) or they're complete morons (e.g. Mrs. Bennet) or they're selfish stepmothers (e.g. Mrs. Gibson).  Now, if Sir Percy had had a mom, she probably would have been fabulous... oh, wait, she was insane.  Scratch that.

Back to the supporting characters.  They were pretty much all great, the only notable exception being Young Lorna (is she a supporting character?).  She was kind of stupid.  Not quite annoying... but almost.  However, her rather flat performance is forgotten in the grand scheme of things, and boy is there ever a grand scheme of things.  Unrequited love, requited love, happy endings, sad endings, lots of mud (ahem), amazing music, gorgeous hairstyles, not-so-gorgeous hairstyles (smokin' mocha mokawk, anyone?), lies, honesty, stolen jewels, family secrets...

...just go watch it.  I promise you will not be disappointed.  In fact, you may even like it enough to watch it twice in one week.

I want that red blouse... very badly.
Not, of course, that my sister and I would have done such a thing.  What a dreadful idea.  How dare you even suggest it.  Off with your head.

*relents*  Oh, very well, I'll forgive you this once.  You'll still be hanged of course, but I'll spare you the drawing and quartering.

That was a joke.

Also a quote from Judge Jeffreys.  Not quite the sweetest person in the movie, but...

...never mind. It wasn't that funny.  Here's a Lorna Doone trailer.  I made it.  For you.

20 comments:

Treskie said...

Yeah. I loved that movie. :)Lorna is soooo purty.

**SPOILIERS**

But when Carver died, my little sister (she was only seven at the time) ruined the scene by informing everyone in loud, horrified tones that "He drowned in a mud puddle!" A nasty, rather unfortunate mis-viewing of what actually happened, but I (with my odd mind) found it pretty funny.

**End Spoilers**

But yeah. Awesome movie. Very under watched.

God bless!

Mikailah Autumn said...

It's FIDDLER ON THE ROOF!!!
Tavye's Monologue". ;) I love that movie. ;D

Great review! :) xx

Lauren said...

Great review, and I actually had heard of the Lorna Doone story before, but I haven't read the book or watched the movie.

btw - was the song you were thinking of from Fiddler on the Roof? I really love that musical.

~Lauren

S.K. said...

Wow, thank you so much for this review! I watched 'Lorna' for the first time last week and can't understand AT ALL why it's not well known. Having read the book first (I got the series out the library and had to wait a long to get it, so I read the book in between), I can say that they changed the characters, but really forgivably. John is reallllly stupid in the book (and knows it, so you read massive paragraphs about how dull he thinks he is and how he thinks Lorna is such an angel for wanting to marry him), and all the women are a lot more wimpy, but Tom and Lizzie are the same. I still wish that they made the series longer, as there's a few things sub-plots that they left out, but overall it's a really good retelling of the book.
Oh, and I liked Carver too. I tend to like the bad guy when he's not a complete brute, just warped and twisted. Poor Carver... : )

Melody said...

I will read the post before watching the trailer.

I will read the post before watching the trailer.

I WILL read the post BEFORE watching the trailer.

*deep breath*
Willpower.

First period drama based on a book you've never read?
WOW. I admire you. Haha.

Squeal, I like saying "thrice" too! (I did on the phone one time... do you remembuh?)

I wanted to watch this long ago... I just kept waiting to get a more detailed Content Advisory. Heehee.

Mrs. French, too! That means after I see this movie, I COULD do a '4 Period Films With Barbara Flynn' post. Although I still haven't even gotten to Keeley Hawes. Heh.

I just remembered one of the reasons I don't like reading reviews before I watch the movie. Even if nothing is given away... it's fun just to have the whole plot itself be a complete surprise, and everything in the movie. :D Trailers are another thing, though. Odd, that.

I'm not sure I did read that right... if Tom's sister Annie seems to be especially fond of Tom, that would be disturbing because he was her BROTHER.
Ahem.
:P

You're right, she is pretty and she doesn't look like me.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I think I might have seen Mr. Merdle on something else too... but I can't remember what.

Villain of the piece in love with the heroine? Forbidden love? Sworn revenge?
La, but this is so 18th-century Gothic. I'm going into Catherine Morland mode. Must... get... hands... on... DVD... I don't care if we are going on vacation. Mom can just take me to the library before we leave so's I can return it. :D

"You break my heart and then accuse me of cruelty" actually sounds like a swellicious quote. *nods approvingly*

Don't even incinerate such a thing... HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Waaahhh, I want to see this so we can GAB about it! :D

Yeah, Sir Percy's mother was insane. Mr. Knightley's was proberly fabulous. ;D Mr. Darcy's was too.
Hee. Heeheeheee.

NOW I watch the trailer. Okay, I'll admit, I didn't read this thoroughly... but... but... I would rather do so AFTER I watch it. :)

Wow... that guy DOES have weird hair.

Lovely trailer. Now off to the library website. :)

(Of course, I really will ask Mamma if she will take me to the library to return it BEFORE I check it out. Heehee.)

Mikailah Autumn said...

P.S. Your humor is quite enjoyable to read. ;) It sounds a lot like mine, actually. haha. :) Great review! {again!} I just really like it. Okay.

xo,
Mikailah @ finding beauty
www.maid4him.blogspot.com

Caroline L. said...

Hmmm...you have just about convinced me to watch this. Quite a feat. Because I have always disliked the idea of a movie which stars MR. COX as the hero. (I can just imagine his reunion scene with now grown-up Lorna: "You're so much grown! So much...well, I s'pose I musn't say...)

Rachel Heffington said...

Oooh! I've read the book twice and loved it. :) I never did get all the way through the movie because we were watching it on youtube and just never finished, but the only real problem I had with it was actually Carver Doone. He in no way fit the mental picture I'd built up. He was whiny. His voice was not deep enough, and this actor portrayed him as a rather nicely-formed, little-guy. Carver is supposed to be big, bad, brawny, boisterous, bodacious (do I continue? ;) and have a huge black beard. :D
All that aside, *Lorna* is beautiful and just how I think she ought to be. :)

Katie Edwards said...

Oooh, I have this DVD somewhere but had almost forgotten about it. Must dig that out and watch it tonight. It's one of the classics I'm less familiar with - I've read it once, watched it once, but forgotten a lot of the details, so that'll be good to remind myself of. Thanks for the review.

Anonymous said...

SQUEEEEE!! You have no idea how loudly I screamed when I saw The Picture. Then I noticed Your Caption and I screamed even louder. "It's Dani- er, I mean, James McAvoy!!!!" Gah, now I MUST see this film!!!

Oh, and by the way, I laughed and guffawed and Lydia-snorted my way through this whole review. You, m'dear Chauvie, are one of the wittiest writers I know.

Soooo... Cranford reviews next? *puppy dog face*

Now I'm off to my library's website to see if I can pick up this gem! My family and I are actually making our way through Lark Rise to Candleford right now. We just started it last night. It's fairly good so far, but it hasn't even come close to topping anything else by BBC. At least not yet. =) But I'm hopeful! We shall see!!

Love ya dear,
puddle

Lydia said...

It is from fiddler on the roof!!!!! Where's my money?!?! ;) I love this movie. My dad, who is not a period drama movie watcher LOVES this movie and said I couldn't watch it unless he was there cuz he loves it so much!!!!!

Scullery Maid said...

Tradition reprise from Fiddler on the Roof. I did not read the other comments. Yet.
Noddy Boffin?!? Mr. Merdle?!? Miss Browning?!? MR. COXE???!!!!!!!!??? That does it. This movie is in DVD queue as of 45 seconds ago.
P.S. Oh and thought you might like to know, all your raving has convinced me. I have watched all of the 10th Anniversary concert, most of the 25th, started the book, and feel fully qualified to call it Les Miz. And all because of your concert comparisons!

Kathryn said...

This is basically my favorite movie and has been for about five years. I really like the story because it not only contains the romance found in most period dramas, but it also contains a lot of excitement and swashbuckling. I could not believe it when I realized that it is one of the most under-watched and underrated period drama movies of all time. One of my great delights is showing it to those poor unfortunates who have never before seen it and watching their expressions at one scene which I won't mention but which is highly emotional and which all of you who have seen the movie probably recall.
This is a must-see.
Speaking of which, Judge Jeffries is just about my favorite character, and we love quoting the court scene. "Hhhang him!"

Alexandra said...

SO glad you liked this movie. I love it. My brothers like to point out that it has plot holes big enough to for Tom to gallop his horse through, but it's a great movie all the same. I really love John, and like Lorna and all that. Oh, and both the mom and Counsellor or whaterver his name is are on Miss Potter (he's the older brother of Ewan McGregor's character). So yeah. :)

Anyway!!! Love this movie. The first time I aaw it I knew Lorna would *SPOILERS!!!!!* ya know. And I was like, yayyyyyy! Because ya know, I love those kinds of stories. And then it didn't quite end the same, and I was like, him! Interesting. :-D But I was soooo tense through the whole movie. Anyway. Love this movie.

As you see, I'm back to catching up on commenting. :)

Melody said...

Now I come back to comment after having seen said movie. :D

Hold on... that means I've seen FIVE films with Barbara Flynn. I'd already seen four. o.O The problem with me is that I do not use my mind.

Oh, it's Coxe with an E, is it? Sorry. Now I pull the never-read-the-book trick. :P

But my dear, John didn't teach her to fish with a spear (he lost it when he slipped on the rock, remember?) and neither was Lorna fishing with a spear when he saw her again. :P

Ooh, I liked the music too. :D

Heehee, the Awkward Proposal was amazing. It us all laugh a great deal, and you know we dearly love a laugh.

Ah, you DID cry during that part. Good. :D

Nope, no're not getting an amen from me. Sorry. I was happy when he died. :D Seriously? That, um, horrible, evil thing he did at the end? I don't think he could ever have been an "awesome good guy". No way. Uh-uh.

Actually, I thought at first Annie was upset that he wanted to marry a Doone...

Okay, like all the hair on the guys in this movie... REALLY WEIRD. Really, really weird. Haha.

Okay, guess I didn't really have that much to say. That I didn't say in an email. But oh well.

Hayden said...

Before I go any further: Fiddler on the Roof.

Love that movie.

Kate said...

So, this comment is kind of late. But that's because I read the first two paragraphs, decided I wanted to watch it, and read no further for fear it would be spoiled. (I know you promised not to spoil it, but I'm VERY picky when it comes to not wanting to know things about the movie I'm about to watch.) Suffice it to say, I watched it. It is definitely a watch-again. And I have to say, that just as I was thinking that it was good and all, but a tad bit predictable, I was very surprised by the first major plot twist.

I have to say, the costumes and music were even better than the story. :D

And your posts can always make me last. Thank you for making life delightful. :)

Miss Elliot said...

Hahahaha, I always laugh so hard at the "high five, clever audience" line. And all the other lines. Which is why I nominated it! :-) Also, your blog buttons won't come up on my blog, but I do have a Jane Austen quote that I linked to you, so maybe that will do.
I am currently perusing your sister Anne-girl's blog and I love it! You and her... oh my.

Katie Hanna said...

Your post was hilarious. I have not seen the movie, but now I REALLY REALLY want to. I did watch the trailer--Lorna is absolutely beautiful, and John looks like a perfect "good-guy-on-a-white-horse." Carver's hair is Quite Something, as they say.
This blog is a lot of fun--please keep it up!
P.S. If you like period drama, have you ever tried P.G. Wodehouse?

Unknown said...

Coming from a guy: I really like this movie. Lorna is absolutely beautiful (maybe the 3rd actress I've ever thought to be). Lorna and John's relationship from the start is romantically perfect, especially in the sense that we all wish we our true love would just accidentally pop into our lives.
(SPOILER WARNING)
My favourite part was for some reason the saddest, and that was when John goes to catch a glimpse of Lorna. As she disappears out of his sight the viewer is left to assume for several moments before the next scene, that she has given him up and is now too far enwapped in her royalty to bother with him. Perhaps my emotions are attracted to this scene because I can relate to the thoughts that passed through John's head. Nice to see that others enjoyed this film and I hope I can find more like it :)
(and no I wasn't forced to watch this)
-Kent