Sunday, October 23, 2011

Hymn of the Week: O For A Closer Walk With God

I love old hymns. Love, love, love them. Some of the newer hymns are very good too (In Christ Alone, I Am Your Shield, How Deep the Father's Love, etc.) but in general I prefer the older ones. There's something beautiful about songs of worship that have stood the test of time. And often, the older hymns are more thought-provoking. The words are full of truth and meaning. I'm not saying the newer ones aren't, but in my experience they often rely heavily on the music rather than the words.

Anyway, I would like to share one of my favorite hymns here every week, and what better day to do it than on the Lord's Day?

O For A Closer Walk With God was written in 1769 by Jane Austen's favorite poet, William Cowper. (I encourage you to read his story--what an inspiring testimony to God's faithfulness in our weakness!)


O for a closer walk with God,
a calm and heavenly frame,
a light to shine upon the road
that leads me to the Lamb!

Where is the blessedness I knew
when first I saw the Lord?
Where is the soul-refreshing view
of Jesus and his word?

Return, O holy Dove, return,
sweet messenger of rest;
I hate the sins that made thee mourn,
and drove thee from my breast.

The dearest idol I have known,
whate'er that idol be,
help me to tear it from thy throne,
and worship only thee.

So shall my walk be close with God,
calm and serene my frame;
so purer light shall mark the road
that leads me to the Lamb.

2 comments:

Ella said...

We sing this song at my church often.
I love the lyrics.

Julia Rogers said...

I Sooooo agree with you!! I have said that numerous times! It's not that I don't like some new ones,....on the contrary, SOME I do, but as a general rule, they are repetitive, and don't have THAT much really deep, thought provoking message!
Anyway, thanks for saying what you did, i really appreciate it!!
God bless!!!!